Saturday 6 September 2008

Motorheadbangers...




Patchie sort of beat me to it but here is my two cents, a few words on Motorhead's new album, MOTORIZER...

The Head have been on fire since the "Bastards" album came out in 1993, that personally for me is their career best, not only is it the most brutal, heaviest, fastest, metalest Motorhead album in existence but it's quite possibly thee best metal album I own, it's certainly up there with some of my all time favourites.
Not that the albums were bad before "Bastards", it's just that they had proper turned everything up on "Bastards", they upped the volume, the speed, the heaviness, the attitude, every song a classic along with its two follow ups, 1995's "Sacrifice" and 1996's "Overnight Sensation" a solid trio of albums to be reckoned with.
Motorhead never looked back after Bastards and each album they've brought out since '93 still maintained the heaviness, speed, attitude, the balls! (except the god awful depressing 2002 Hammered album which I think is the only bad motorhead album, it had the heaviness but lacked speed, attitude and balls)
The last 2 albums "Inferno" and "Kiss Of Death" were really amazing albums and this years new album "Motorizer" makes for yet another successful solid trio, good Motorhead albums come in three's, these current 3, the 3 that I mentioned earlier and the legendary trio of "Overkill", "Bomber" and "Ace Of Spades"
Motorizer is a great album with a lot of really cool songs, Mikkey Dee's drum sound is nice, Phil Campbells guitar sounds on top form and Lemmy's bass is turned right up and sounding as filthy as ever!
Can't wait to hear some of these songs live in november!!!

Motorizer, Track by Track...

Runaround Man...
Track One and Motorhead mean business, this tune is a right typical motorhead opening stomper, quick pace, catchy rythym, all the 'head trademarks including the classic lyricism that only Lemmy can get away with.
A short song at 2:55 which leaves me wanting more of the same for the rest of the album!!!

Teach You How To Sing The Blues...
Another catchy song, sort of fast paced but slower than track one which made me go for my guitar to have a sly jam along to some of them boss riffs!!!! The bass guitar is tured right up for this song as well!!!

When The Eagle Screams...
Can't make out the voice at the beginning but it sounds like it says Hermano which is spanish for Brother which I think is translated a bit later in the lyrics when Lemmy shouts "They will tell you brother, when the eagle screams, we die" followed by some heavy double bass drum riffage.
This is my favourite song on the album complete with a vintage Campbell solo.

Rock Out...
The classic Motorhead bass intro, we've heard it many times before, Ace Of Spades, Iron Fist, Nothing Up My Sleeve and We Are Motorhead, yeah now you get the idea what Rock Out is like!!!
Gotta love that "Rock Out, With Your Cock Out, Impress Your Lady Friends" lyric!!!

One Short Life...
That sleazy bass intro which leads into a pure filthy blues riff at the start is the kind of music I've been begging Motorhead to write for years, I love the lyric "Always mind your manners and don't you talk no trash, and if you get somebody dissing you, go over and kick his ass!"

Buried Alive...
Another Rock Out style song but more serious with better riffs, I really like it!

English Rose...
I thought Lemmy's singing at the beginning was a bit naff but when the song kicks in it's cool, sort of a cross between Going To Brazil and Born To Raise Hell, really good old rock n roll style and I liked Lemmy doing the backing vocals as well!!!

Back On The Chain...
I fucking love Back On The Chain, it's one of those songs with the old 70's style riffs I've been dying for them to play for so long, it reminds me a LOT of Damage Case.

Heroes...
Slow and Heavy! Nothing wrong with that, some of The Head's best songs are the slow to mid paced ones, Built For Speed from Orgasmatron came to mind at first but then the song came into its own and it rocks!

Time Is Right...
Another quick paced classic in the making, it's got a really good chorus and I liked the melodies on the chorus, a fucking really good tune!!!

The Thousand Names of God...
Most of the riffs reminded me of Built For Speed (again) but that's not a bad thing, i like the addition of the slide guitar on this song.

Motorhead are still hungry, no doubt about it, but I would like to see them get another guitarist or get one of the older guitarists to rejoin (ahem, wurzel!) another guitarist would boost the songwriting, make it sound a bit more fresh, I say this 'cos I don't think they could top Motorizer if the next album sounds the same as it, just a thought!

No comments: