Saturday 11 June 2011

Æthenor, Mugstar, Conan, Ex-Easter Island Head, The Kazimier, Liverpool

A couple of firsts for us; first time at a new (for us) venue, the Kazimier, Wolstenholme Square in Liverpool, better known as the original home of dance music's "superclub" Cream, and our first time watching a show put on by Behind The Wall of Sleep.

We arrive just in time to hear the end of Ex-Easter Island Head's set, dreamlike drones played on horizontal guitars.
I was a bit disappointed we'd wandered in so late because I could have really got my teeth into more of this. alas, next time, eh?

Conan take to the stage next, and this was our first time of seeing them.



The Horseback Battle Hammer EP has had a lot of play at Claw Towers, and as such I was personally really looking forward to seeing them for the first time and they didn't dissapoint. Jarring low-end drones give way to thundering headbang-demanding riffs, three lads shake the world and halfway through the second track hipsters exit to the beer garden in a huge skinny jeaned conga.
Conan are worth keeping an eye, and two ears, on.



Another first for us now, Mugstar are a name I've heard a lot, but not a band I've heard, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Hawkwindy/Floydy with a decidedly modern twist, putting me in mind of a both Gong and Kong, but neither at the same time. An absolute musical enigma.

After what seems like an eternity, Æthenor finally take to the stage.


It works on record, we've seen them at Roadburn a few years ago (2007, I think), and really enjoyed it, but tonight, they didn't really do it for me. Have a look yourself.



Three out of four ain't bad though? And the Kazimier is an exciting, intimate yet chilled out venue, and I got to see a band i'd been looking forward to and two more I'd never heard but will be checking out now!

No comments: