Monday 20 June 2011

Tank86 - Rise

A couple of years ago back in 2008, at Roadburn, I was given a copy of Dutch band Tank86's second EP Behold which I reviewed here.
The guys got back in touch with us recently to give us the heads up on their debut full-length on Rising Magma Records, the aptly named Rise.


So, for the past week or two we've been giving it some heavy rotation at Claw towers, and we love it.

Eight tracks of instrumental fury, backed with reflective passages too, this is an instrumental band with one foot firmly in the doomy/epic camp, some huge and even evil sounding riffs within.

Dark, doomy, early-Cathedralesque guitar parts, and real headbanging riffs, with amazing drumming, I mean like really, I'm loving the drumming on this.  It's always hard to keep my attention throughout a purely instrumental album, and only Tank86, Kong and the much missed Capricorns have been able to do so in the past.

They're well worth seeking out, you can find them on the web here and their record label here.
There's a digital download available on Bandcamp as well for €6 which works out at 75cents a song, so pick it up for the price of a few beers, well worth it! I'm looking forward to checking the band out live at some point in the future; I'd really love to experience this at full volume!!

No comments: