Tuesday 24 March 2009

Let's leave it to Kerrang.


I was, at some point this week, going to review the new records from Mastodon and Isis, both bands that used to get a fair bit of play at Claw Towers at one time, but to be honest, I personally don't like their newest records, and you can read all about them in Kerrang or whatever.
Or you can buy Terrorizer and get a free poster of Mastodon... I don't know what's going on with that...Posters?

Anyway, I've got a whole load more new, true, releases to share with you, that aren't going to be centrefolds in any magazine anytime soon.
Shall we continue?

Ea - Ea II (Solitude Records 2009)

Funeral Doom is an often overlooked genre, a niche within a niche if you like.
Short of Thergothon and Funeral, who do you really know of that creates slow, epic, grand doom? Ea apparently have one record out previously to this (Ea Taesse, 2006) but it's passed me by. After listening to this new opus though, I must say that I will be tracking it down.
In true mysterious underground fashion, I've found it hard to get hold of any background information on the band (other than, according to the Encyclopaedia Metallum, "Ea is based on the sacral texts of ancient civilizations. Ea uses a dead language which was recreated according to the results of archeological study.")
It's amazing, atmosperic Death/Doom like early (demo) Anathema, dISEMBOWELMENT etc, with layers of keyboards and sound effects.
Two tracks (both untitled) full of despair, yet strangely uplifting, just how we like our doom!

No comments: